Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Partnership Quilts for 2012 Tokyo Quilt Festival

Partnership Quilts for 2012 Tokyo Quilt Festival


Some of you may recall that earlier this year I blogged about the Tokyo Quilt Festival I attended this year. I blogged about it here and here. It was amazing to be able to go there and to share with you my experience there. Well, I am definitely going back there in January next year. Since I will be living MUCH closer to the Tokyo Dome, where the festival takes place every year, I might, in fact, I WILL probably be able to visit there a few times next year so that I wont miss anything, hopefully, hehe.

Each year the Tokyo Quilt Festival exhibits lots of Partnership Quilts, which are made by quilt blocks submitted by everyone. A theme for partnership quilts is set by a popular Japanese quilter/textile designer annually, and she will put all blocks submitted into groups. Folks there will piece all blocks and make them into quilts accordingly.

2011s theme was "Flower" and there were 10,344 blocks submitted total from all over the world. Under supervision of Yoko Saito, an author of many Japanese sewing books, those blocks turned into 86 quilts to be exhibited at the festival. They did a great job on putting similar blocks together and I so enjoyed seeing many flower themed quilts there.

Id like to invite ALL of you to participate in this for next year. I am especially excited about next years partnership quilts, because my super quilting hero Suzuko Koseki, an author of these awesome sewing books, will be a supervisor.

heartWhat is the theme?
Triangles and squares. This doesnt mean your block needs to consist of perfect triangles and squares. Half triangles, rectangles, etc are all good.

heartWhats the block size requirement?
22-23cm x 22-23cm ; 8 3/4" - 9" x 8 3/4" x 9" including 1-1.5cm or approximately 1/2" seam allowances.


heartWhat should I include?
1) Your name written by a permanent pen at the right bottom corner on the seam of your block.
2) A piece of paper with your info - Your message, your name, address, and phone number.

heartHow many blocks can I submit?
One per person. If you are sending blocks as a group or a family, limit 5 blocks. And remember to include a piece of paper with personal info for EACH block. Also, even if you send several blocks together, these blocks may not be in the same quilt.

heartWhats the technique we can use?
Any :) Machine or hand-sewing, paper-piecing, applique, embroidery. Just keep in mind that your block will be quilted so I would avoid attaching a giant metal piece or anything like that.

heartDoes my block need to be original?
Not at all! Go ahead and pick your favorite quit pattern from your book. And of course you have free reign to come up with your own blocks design.

heartIs there any requirements on colors or types of fabrics?
Not at all! Use fabric you want and pick the colors you want.

heartDo I have to be an experienced quilter to join this?
Not at all! The youngest participant this year was a 2 year old!

heartCan I see the quilt my block is in?
Absolutely! If you can join this flickr group and post a picture of your block, I will do my best to look for your block at the festival and take pictures of the quilt to share with you all on my blog and in the flickr pool.

heartWhen will the 2012 quilt festival be held?
Sometime in January next year. The specific dates are undecided,but I am assuming it will be about 10 days in late January.

heartWhat happens to the quilts after the festival is over.
They will be sold for charity purposes at the end of the last day to help the victims of the earthquake.

heartWhens the deadline?
August 31, 2011. Your blocks must arrive by this date. If you are going to use the USPS first class international mail to send your block from the U.S., I would suggest that you send it by August 10th.

heartWhere should I send my block to?
NHK Suteki ni HandMade
"Partnership Quilt"
2-2-1 Jinnan, Shibuya-ku,
Tokyo 150-8001 Japan


I hope youll jump in the fun! Have a great Monday!!


Available link for download