Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Patterns

Patterns


Here is a really short video of making patterns.  I like to overlap patterns, use patterns of different scale, density, different colors, and varying amounts of contrast with the ground.

This is just an example of contrasting scale. The stripes on the left are painted, the ones on the right are collaged. 

In this painting, 12"x12", I used the contrast of scale and varying contrast of value to create the focal area.

This is the study I am demonstrating in the video.  It is 9"x12".

This is student work from a workshop.  We were creating small collages using contrasting patterns.

Student work from an online  class.  I love the very loose use of pattern here.

In this pattern study, 10"x10", Im using various scales of pattern, and varying degrees of contrast.

I use the pattern of red/orange dashes, and the spatter of turquoise to bring this piece together.  It is 9"x9".

This is one of a series in which I played with pattern overlapping, and different scales of pattern.  I believe this is 10"x10".

Just a sampling of easy-to-make patterns

"Pattern Play", 8"x8", features a variety of patterns interacting and overlapping.
Patterns are easy and fun.  Using them, however, requires careful observation and restraint.  A little goes a long way. Try it out  Play with pattern and see where it takes you!

Available link for download